Feb

MMA Striking Basics – Keeping the Elbows In – A Coach’s Drill

After the great response to the “Elbows In” Solo Wall Drill video (click here to watch if you missed it) that I posted a few weeks back I decided to hit the gym to film the details of another great striking drill. It’s one that I use often to help accomplish the same goal: getting my students to keep their elbows in the optimal position.

This drill requires the help of a friend or coach but is still very simple to practice.

Here it is…

Thinking about starting MMA?

Jump start your training and master the basics in 12 weeks with my MMA QuickStart training program.

If you want to receive many other training tips, videos and my FREE “Developing the KO Punch” EBook sign up for my “Fight Crew” Mailing list. Just enter your name and email address in the box located on the top right side of this page =======>”

Comments

1. jeff says:

Thanks for another great video Jeff!

2. Barrett says:

Hey Jeff next time your coming to Michigan let us know sorry.I missed ya bro. The post on the jab and cross plus the coaching aspect have been a massive help with my training and growth. The basics help you keep from getting knocked out or tagged as often. Thanks again coach .i love the MMA quickstart program. My basic front lead & rear kicks plus the Jab & cross are gaining more speed and power the brothers at the culb said wtf are you don’ bro i just smiled and said i’m doing my home work.. LOL.see ya on the next post .Way to go.

Thanks Barrett. I’m glad the MMA Quickstart program is helping you surprise your training partners and get hit a lot less. That’s really great to hear bro. Keep training hard!

3. Thanks Jeff awesome points made for a coach like me to watch.

4. Zac says:

Hey jeff, these are awesome videos and tips. I did your 12 week quick start to mma, it was a great learning experience. I recently moved to Las Vegas to train at xtreme couture and i couldnt have more confidence going in. Thanks again Jeff.

No problem. Training at Xtreme Couture should be great experience for you! Good luck bro.

Please keep me updated on how things are going and if you have any training questions along the way let me know.

5. EJVASQUEZ says:

Very good tutorial…growing up in a boxing and martial art family i seen alot of good drills and techniques…i thought i seen it all but i learned some new training methods…keep up the good job

6. matt says:

Good job jeff….

Thx

7. Haduken says:

Well explained Jeff – going to try this at my class – got to drill, drill.drill until it comes naturally!! Tend to be thinking about it too much at the moment! :-)

I remember Bruce Lee, flinging the punch out and tightening fist at last moment.

Also makes sense cos stops people seeing “the birth of punch” by seeing your elbows twitch (if sticking out!) and countering quickly!

Keep up the great work with the vids and your up coming event dude!!

Thanks Matt for the message. Glad you’re liking the vids. I’ll be getting back to making some new ones very soon.